Directorate Change - Senior Independent DirectorSource: RNS
7 September 2020
Aviva appoints Patrick Flynn as Senior Independent Director
Aviva plc ("Aviva") has appointed Patrick Flynn as Senior Independent Director with effect from 7th September 2020. Patrick will succeed George Culmer, who was appointed Chairman of Aviva on 27 May 2020, as previously disclosed.
Patrick was appointed as a Non-Executive Director of Aviva on 16th July 2019 and has extensive insurance experience, most recently as the Chief Financial Officer of ING, the Netherland's largest financial services group. He is also a Non-Executive Director of Natwest Group plc.
George Culmer, Chairman, said:
"Patrick brings significant experience of both retail financial and insurance services. He has extensive knowledge of the Aviva Group, excellent relationships with other directors, and a good understanding of our shareholders' needs, which makes him the natural choice as Senior Independent Director."
Andrew Reid +44 (0)7800 694 276
Sarah Swailes +44 (0)7800 694 859
Chris Esson +44 (0)20 7662 8115
Diane Michelberger +44 (0)20 7662 0911
Notes to editors:
· The announcement is made pursuant to Listing Rule 9.6.11
· For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
· Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business. We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives - to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being 'with you today, for a better tomorrow'.
· Our vision is to earn our customers' trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
· We will focus on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. Our International businesses in Europe and Asia will be managed for long-term shareholder value. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience.
· Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £522 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £12.0 billion (HY20). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
· For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
· You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
· You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
· For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
· We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.