Humana and Epic to Enhance Patient, Provider and Payer CollaborationSource: Business Wire
Collaboration to Provide Better Data, Insights and Experience for Patients and Providers at Point-of-Care
Humana and Epic are advancing interoperability to promote open communication and information transparency that will give patients and their practitioners integrated and real-time access to the patients’ medical history, health insights and treatment options, which, in turn, enables cost reduction, improves quality and increases patient satisfaction.
“The nexus of these technologies will both improve the provider
experience and patient access to care by empowering them to weigh
evidence-based outcomes with patients’ individual medication cost and
To enhance the prescribers experience, Humana will integrate its Real-Time Benefits Check (RTBC) tool, IntelligentRx, directly into Epic’s e-prescribing workflow, delivering real-time pharmacy data throughout its network.
“The integration of IntelligentRx’s decision-making platform with
Epic’s product empowers physicians and their patients to make treatment
decisions together, based on efficacy and cost transparency. When
prescribers use IntelligentRx and they are presented with
alternatives, we find that they select the more cost effective treatment
nearly 40% of the time,” said
Integrating these technologies will improve the timeliness and accuracy of Humana-generated knowledge, ease administrative burden, and help providers make the best decisions for patients at the point-of-care through the delivery of timely, meaningful member insights. The model should:
- Increase the breadth, quality, and timeliness of data exchange to better track quality measures and improve the breadth of member insights;
- Reduce cost and improve the extent of specialty care by surfacing quality and cost information to providers as they make referral decisions at the point-of-care;
- Improve medication adherence by presenting medication alternatives with cost information to providers while they prescribe;
- Improve provider access to claims to support monitoring of value‐based arrangement performance; and
- Reduce burden on providers and improve timeliness for prior authorization decisions.
“This transformative relationship brings together the provider, the
payer, and the patient in new ways so they’re all working from the same
To accomplish that, we support physicians and other health care professionals as they work to deliver the right care in the right place for their patients, our members. Our range of clinical capabilities, resources and tools – such as in-home care, behavioral health, pharmacy services, data analytics and wellness solutions – combine to produce a simplified experience that makes health care easier to navigate and more effective.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
Securities and Exchange Commissionfilings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases and conference calls
- Calendar of events
- Corporate Governance information
Marina Renneke, APR
Humana Corporate Communications