AEO Inc. Announces New Sustainability Goals, Including a Comprehensive Plan to Be Carbon Neutral by 2030
Pledge to accelerate sustainability improvements
Committed to carbon reduction, water reduction, and the use of more sustainable raw materials
“At AEO we focus on youth and their optimism toward the future, so building a better world for generations to come is fundamental to our brands, values and purpose,” commented
AEO’s Sustainability Goals:
- Achieve carbon neutrality in all of AEO’s owned and operated facilities (offices, stores, distribution centers) and employee business travel by 2030.
- Reduce carbon emissions 40% by 2030 and 60% by 2040 in AEO’s manufacturing from a 2018 base year.
Implement the following throughout the supply chain by 2023:
- Ensure that 50% of water used in our laundries is recycled.
- Reduce water usage in jeans production by 30%.
- Ensure that wastewater from water-intensive facilities is free from hazardous chemicals.
- All cotton used in products will be 100% sustainably sourced.
- Use 50% sustainable polyester.
- Ensure that 100% of viscose is from non-endangered forests and increase sourcing of sustainably produced viscose fibers.
AEO’s commitment to sustainability is ongoing and the company will continue to:
- Work together as an industry leader to build partnerships in order to contribute to broad changes within garment manufacturing.
- Reduce the use of plastic in stores, offices and throughout the supply chain, and shift to recycled plastic content where possible.
- Strategically partner with industry initiatives and multi-stakeholder organizations to influence policy change.
- Uphold a commitment to recycling and paper reduction in our owned facilities.
Encourage customers to reduce apparel waste through jeans recycling in
American Eaglestores and bra recycling in Aerie stores.