A leading global medicines company executes a strategic investment in SiO2 Medical Products gaining access to a potentially disruptive novel packaging technology
- Investment confirms interest to use SiO2's technology that may provide advantages including enhanced quality and performance
- SiO2's breakthrough technology is anticipated to help provide regulatory benefits, enhanced primary packaging and potential operational savings for a range of products
Financing is co-led by
MPM Capital, a leading healthcare investment firm
- Enhanced packaging (low particulates, Silicone oil and Tungsten-free, no delamination, glass-like oxygen barrier, tighter dimensional control, no breakage);
- Innovative materials science technology to potentially achieve enhanced quality and safety standards for Biologics. As health authorities are becoming more restrictive about particulate contamination, especially in ophthalmic products, SiO2's technology offers a unique platform to help address this requirement; and
- Potential operational savings related to improved dimensional control. This allows more precise handling, filling, inspection, interface with mechanisms (e.g. auto-injectors) and dosing.
It is expected that after a first successful adoption for ophthalmic use, the technology could be extended to multiple products.
SiO2, a privately-owned, advanced materials science company, manufactures precision-molded Cyclic Olefin Polymer (COP) primary drug containers which incorporate a thin, transparent, silicon-based coating system composed of organosiloxane and silica Nano-layers. This breakthrough coating system uniquely combines the durability and dimensional consistency of plastics with the oxygen barrier properties, low extractables, and pH stability of glass (i.e. quartz).
"We thank our investors
"SiO2's leadership combined with the
About SiO2 Medical Products
SiO2 Medical Products is a privately-owned U.S. advanced materials science corporation, managed by the same family over the last 100 years always involved in introducing breakthrough disruptive technology. The company's focus is to make the safest and most reliable packaging for the biotech and related industries. The company has developed a new material to make various products with. The company is currently located in
The statements contained in this press release may contain certain forward-looking statements relating to SiO2 Medical Products that are based on the beliefs of SiO2's management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to SiO2's management. These forward-looking statements are, by their nature, subject to significant risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements include, without limitation, statements relating to SiO2's business prospects, future developments, trends and conditions in the industry and geographical markets in which SiO2 operates, its strategies, plans, objectives and goals, its ability to control costs, statements relating to prices, volumes, operations, margins, overall market trends, risk management and exchange rates.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/a-leading-global-medicines-company-executes-a-strategic-investment-in-sio2-medical-products-gaining-access-to-a-potentially-disruptive-novel-packaging-technology-300960030.html