Humana’s 2020 Bold Goal Progress Report Details Improved Mental and Physical Health Among its Population
HumanaMedicare Advantage members experienced an additional 816,000 Healthy Days
Bold Goal communities such as
Baton Rouge, Knoxville, New Orleans, San Antonioand Tampaexperienced more Healthy Days
- 2.6 million social determinant screenings performed across Humana membership
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200618005224/en/
While the report focuses on Humana’s continued Bold Goal efforts in 2019, Humana President and Chief Executive Officer
“During the last five years working in the Bold Goal communities, we have seen firsthand the impact of clinical and social needs on our members,” Broussard said. “COVID-19 has further widened ongoing health disparities, disproportionately affecting Black and Latino communities. Humana is deeply committed to working with our community and government partners to ensure we support members in improving their mental and physical health. Working together, we can break down barriers to drive lasting change.”
As part of its efforts to address these issues, Humana held a virtual event, in conjunction with the
Humana’s Bold Goal is focused on addressing the needs of the whole person by co-creating solutions to address social determinants and the health-related social needs for our members and communities, including helping members access to healthy food, connect socially and address housing needs. Humana is continuing to expand the Bold Goal into new communities. The company has grown from its original seven Bold Goal communities in 2015 to 16 designated Bold Goal communities.
Humana uses the
Listed below are some key findings from the 2020 Bold Goal Progress Report:
- For the first time since Humana began benchmarking, Humana Medicare Advantage members across all markets improved their Healthy Days. These members experienced 816,000 more Healthy Days than they would have otherwise experienced had the company and its partners not collaborated on projects to target and improve health outcomes.
Many Humana Medicare Advantage members in our original Bold Goal communities have fewer Unhealthy Days. Medicare Advantage members who reside in
Tampahad 3.7 percent fewer Unhealthy Days, and members who reside in New Orleanshad 2.2 percent fewer Unhealthy Days since 2015.
- Humana screened more than 2.6 million Humana members for social determinants of health in 2019. Solid partnerships with physician practices, community organizations and other business partners enabled Humana to screen our members for social needs. Humana found that each member screened had an average of 3.5 health-related social needs (e.g. food insecurity, socially isolated or lonely), and it is why the company employs a personalized approach to the care of each member.
- Helping Medicare Advantage members living with multiple chronic conditions is leading to more Healthy Days. Members with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), coronary artery disease, depression, and congestive heart failure are experiencing an increase in Healthy Days compared to the year prior.
It is clear that the health-related social needs support that economically disadvantaged members are receiving is helping to maintain and even improve their health. Embedded in this progress in a nearly four percent improvement in Healthy Days among low-income members. Humana Chief Medical Officer
“While the movement toward interoperability is gaining momentum, physicians need a detailed understanding of their patients, and that comes when they have data that identifies unhealthy behaviors,” Dr. Shrank said. “Humana’s holistic approach to addressing whole-person health, combined with our strong provider partnerships, enabled us to reduce the number of Unhealthy Days for Medicare Advantage members living with chronic conditions, and this is an essential part of Human Care.”
A key element of Humana’s Bold Goal holistic health approach has been to enhance community partner relationships.
“We were able to successfully adapt and craft quick solutions to address the clinical and social needs of our most vulnerable members,” Coats said. “We are at a time when our work has not mattered more. What we do, who we serve and how we can make a difference are all top of mind every day.”
Humana will continue to measure our progress through the end of the year and report on our original aspirational Bold Goal next year. For more information, please visit https://populationhealth.humana.com/.
To accomplish that, we support physicians and other health care professionals as they work to deliver the right care in the right place for their patients, our members. Our range of clinical capabilities, resources and tools – such as in-home care, behavioral health, pharmacy services, data analytics and wellness solutions – combine to produce a simplified experience that makes health care easier to navigate and more effective.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
Securities and Exchange Commissionfilings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases and conference calls
- Calendar of events
- Corporate Governance information
Humana Corporate Communications