M&T Bank Corporation Releases Inaugural ESG Report
"Over the past 165 years,
The disclosures within M&T's report, A
"While tracking our progress isn't new for M&T, we're now focused on accounting for that progress and sharing it transparently," said
"A lot has changed over the last century and a half, but
Prepared in accordance with the
Doing Business with Integrity
M&T's commitment to high standards of corporate governance is key to further strengthening trust with our communities and confidence in the bank, especially during uncertain times when people need more stability and transparency than ever.
- The importance of good governance and sound decision-making comes from the very top with a Board that is over 80% independent.
- In 2020, the Board added three new directors, including two women and one person of color, making 40% of Board members from diverse backgrounds, including the Chairman and CEO
Bringing People Together
The bank's people are what set it apart, reflecting its values of integrity, candor, collaboration, ownership, and curiosity.
- At M&T, 60% of the workforce and 48% of its managers are women, and 23% of the workforce and 14% of its managers are people of color.
- Through its
Center for Learning and Development, employees completed 455,192 training courses, or an average of 21 hours per employee.
Working with Our Communities
M&T is an organization that works to improve its communities and the lives of those within them. Its deep connection to stakeholders has enabled the bank to meet unique needs during the past year.
- In 2020, the bank provided
$1.299 billionin affordable housing lending.
- Even through the pandemic, M&T's staff spent a total of 51,656 hours volunteering, and the bank, in partnership with the
Charitable Foundation, awarded $34.9 millionin charitable grants.
- M&T has been a top 10 SBA lender nationwide for 12 consecutive years.
Protecting Our Environment
Climate change is impacting communities on a large scale, and it is critical that M&T do its part to help mitigate this risk. M&T is dedicated to listening and learning, and is committed to adapting its ways of working to help play its part in shifting towards greener ways of doing business.
- In 2020, M&T invested
$175.4 millionin renewable energy projects.
Using Finance to Drive Change
M&T is a bank built on the belief that the success of its communities is a shared responsibility, which is why it is committed to using its business to support stakeholders in gaining access to the financial and educational resources, support, and guidance they need to make a difference.
- Through M&T's efficient and empathetic approach to the Payment Protection Program, it helped keep nearly 35,000 businesses operating and 765,000 people in employment during COVID-19.
- In 2020,
$1.213 billionwas invested in sustainable strategies through Wilmington Trust.
National Media and
Information may contain forward-looking statements regarding
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mt-bank-corporation-releases-inaugural-esg-report-301307871.html