CIBC, Itaú, NAB and NatWest Group launch carbon offset platform to drive transparency in Voluntary Carbon Market
Pilot brings efficiency, liquidity and global standards to the carbon offset ecosystem
Corporations worldwide are using carbon offsets as a tool to implement their climate action strategies. Project Carbon aims to support a thriving global marketplace for quality carbon offsets with clear and consistent pricing and standards and will provide a valuable pathway for our clients in their efforts to achieve a net zero goal.
Our project will facilitate:
- Increased delivery of high-quality carbon offset projects
- A liquid carbon credit marketplace with price certainty and transparency
- The creation of a strong ecosystem to support the offset market
- The development of tools to help clients manage climate risk
In alignment with the leading
Project Carbon will initially be launched as a pilot in August to demonstrate the operational, legal and technical capability of the platform.
The team is keen to invite like-minded institutions to join the cohort to help deliver a shared service platform that the group believes will be fundamental to the scaling of the Voluntary Carbon Market.
- Represents the book of record for ownership of Carbon Credits
- Allows owners of credits to clearly demonstrate possession to the market, thus reducing risks of double counting and simplifying reporting
- Supports price discovery through the posting of executed trade sizes and prices to the market
- Promotes project investment through the transparent demonstration of market demand
- Provides full traceability and linkage back to source of the credit
- Assists Registries by facilitating the rapid scaling of client base
- Takes care of post trade settlement, allowing all market participants including exchanges and marketplaces to offer value add services on top
- Aligned with the objectives of the TSVCM
- Pilot built on a private Ethereum platform developed with
"Tackling climate change is everyone's job. We're helping to find solutions and support our customers as they take action to transition to Net-Zero by 2050. Project Carbon is a terrific example of how technologies such as blockchain can address existing barriers and make carbon offsets more accessible for our customers – as part of their broader plans to reduce overall emissions and achieve their own targets."
To learn more about Project Carbon contact:
CIBC is a leading North American financial institution with 10 million personal banking, business, public sector and institutional clients. Across Personal and Business Banking, Commercial Banking and Wealth Management, and Capital Markets businesses, CIBC offers a full range of advice, solutions and services through its leading digital banking network, and locations across
Itaú Unibanco's purpose is to promote people's power of transformation and we do it through a strategic agenda focused on client centricity and digital transformation, based also on the diversity of our people. The largest bank in
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cibc-itau-nab-and-natwest-group-launch-carbon-offset-platform-to-drive-transparency-in-voluntary-carbon-market-301326442.html