New Qualcomm Report Calls for Accelerated Efforts to Use 5G to Enable a More Sustainable Future
The report finds that 5G can transform and positively impact industries across the globe by creating new products and processes that support environmental sustainability. Importantly, the report shows how 5G enabled sustainability is an economic opportunity with major potential for increased revenues, profit margins and productivity – as well as a range of other business benefits.
With 5G, industries and organization can increase their overall sustainability and competitive advantage by significantly improving greenhouse gas emissions, water usage, pesticide usage, and energy consumption.
The report calls for accelerated deployment of 5G networks and 5G uses cases, as well as enhanced investments in 5G technology leadership and a robust global semiconductor ecosystem, to ensure these urgent sustainability advantages are realized sooner.
Key findings from the report shows the rollout of 5G in the
- Create as many as 300,000 new green jobs by 2030. The roles of data scientist, data engineering and software engineering will gain traction as companies rely more and more on 5G.
- Enable the reduction of 374 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions in
the United States, which is equivalent to taking 81 million passenger vehicles off U.S.roads for one year.
- Save 410 billion gallons of water nationwide, the equivalent of water usage in 4+ million homes, by offering increased insight into usage patterns and leakage issues.
- Reduce pesticide usage in
the United Statesby 50% with unmanned aerial vehicles for remote sensing and spray application.
- Increase fuel efficiency by 20% through optimized lane management systems and traffic management systems enabled by C-V2X.
"Environmental sustainability is absolutely imperative and we are working actively with our partners across many industries to leverage 5G to reduce carbon footprints and conserve resources," said
The full report is available for download at https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/5g-and-sustainability-report.pdf
Qualcomm is the world's leading wireless technology innovator and the driving force behind the development, launch, and expansion of 5G. When we connected the phone to the internet, the mobile revolution was born. Today, our foundational technologies enable the mobile ecosystem and are found in every 3G, 4G and 5G smartphone. We bring the benefits of mobile to new industries, including automotive, the internet of things, and computing, and are leading the way to a world where everything and everyone can communicate and interact seamlessly.