Injuries From Popular July Fourth Activities Are On The Rise; Here's How to Stay Safe
Drowning, Extreme Heat Deaths, Barbecue Burns and Firework Injuries are Increasing, According to
increased by 56% between 2018 and 2021. Americans aged 85 and older and babies are the most at-risk age groups for heat injury and death.
increased by 32% from 2012-2021. Teens aged 15 to 19 had the highest percentage of firework injuries (12.4%) in 2021. Despite this, 82% of parents with children younger than 18 say they think it's OK for kids to play with fireworks.
requiring an emergency room visit rose by 18% from 2012-2021. Children younger than 10 accounted for 21% of emergency room visits for grill injuries in the 10 years examined — the highest percentage among age groups.
- A lack of pool safety awareness puts Americans at greater risk of drowning. 39% say they wouldn't be comfortable saving someone struggling in the water, and 17% of Americans say they don't know how to swim.
For Americans planning to host a July Fourth party, celebratory injuries shouldn't be their only worry.
Consumer Tips For A Safe July Fourth:
- Stay hydrated and avoid binge drinking to prevent serious heat injury. Recognize the signs of heat injury and seek prompt medical help.
- Be careful when handling a hot grill. Do not allow children or pets near the grill.
- Don't allow anyone in a pool unsupervised. Ensure pool areas are kept dry and clean to prevent slip and fall injuries.
- Leave the fireworks to the professionals. Even "safe" at-home fireworks like sparklers get as hot as 2000 F and can cause serious burns.
- Serve alcohol responsibly and call for rides for guests who overindulged. If a guest drives home drunk and gets into an accident, you could be liable.
ValuePenguin July Fourth Safety Studies:
HEAT INJURIES & DEATHS: https://www.valuepenguin.com/heat-related-deaths-study
FIREWORK INJURIES: https://www.valuepenguin.com/fireworks-injuries-study
GRILLING INJURIES: https://www.valuepenguin.com/grilling-injuries-study
POOL SAFETY: https://www.valuepenguin.com/swimming-safety-survey
About ValuePenguin.com: ValuePenguin.com, part of
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/injuries-from-popular-july-fourth-activities-are-on-the-rise-heres-how-to-stay-safe-301577146.html