Western Union Highlights ESG Progress and Recognitions Received
- Company Releases Annual Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Report
Focus Continues on Furthering Economic Prosperity, Promoting the Integrity of
Global Money Movementand Advancing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220629005138/en/
“People are drawn to work for and do business with companies that make an impact,” said
2021 ESG Highlights
Western Union’s ESG strategy is focused on efforts and areas where the Company can make meaningful impact, including:
Furthering economic prosperity: The Company launched a digital banking platform in
Germanyand Romania, combining money transfer, a multi-currency account and debit card. Western Unionbelieves offering people simple, trusted solutions via digital and retail access points creates pathways for long-term economic success.
Promoting the integrity of money movement:
Western Unionalso continued progress on our commitment to money movement that is safe, secure and built on a foundation of integrity. While third-party data show the rate of fraudulent activity across the financial industry is increasing, in 2021 our Company’s reported consumer fraud globally decreased by 10% and we prevented approximately $1.9 billionin fraudulent transactions. These efforts were supported by fraud prevention messages that reached consumers through 121 million consumer fraud touches, a 97% increase over 2020.1
Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion: Another key area of focus for the Company in 2021 was advancing diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). In 2021,
Western Uniondeveloped a DEI strategy focused on hiring, development, promotion, retention and cultural change. DEI milestones include:
- A newly formed DEI program office, naming a Chief Diversity and Talent Officer, a specialized diversity recruiting lead and a full-time DEI program lead; and
- Achieving gender pay equity globally and racial/ethnicity pay equity in the US.
This year also marks the first time
The Company also reported recognitions for its ESG efforts, including:
- Recognized as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies® for the first time;
- Bloomberg’s Gender Equality Index for the third consecutive year;
- JUST Capital’s Top 100 Companies Supporting Healthy Families and Communities; and
- Human Rights Campaign’s Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality.
For more information and additional details related to our 2021 progress, and to download Western Union’s 2021 Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Report, click here.
1. Consumer Fraud Awareness Touches are derived from metrics tracked across various platforms, including paid media ads, social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Community Management), outreach attendees and wu.com/fraudawareness visits. Each platform may have a unique method for quantifying individuals who have consumed anti-fraud content, based on reach, impressions, views, visits and/ or received physical materials. Given that consumers may engage with our content through multiple channels, each “touch” may not be a unique consumer.