VMware Modernizes Point of Sale for Global Retailers
Retailers have the opportunity to accelerate digital transformation through advances in leading-edge technology that help them evolve to an agile cloud and software-defined architecture. Doing so can address key retail IT and POS challenges related to deployment, management, security, and continuous updates at scale. The VMware Retail POS modernization solution combines VMware’s enterprise-class virtual desktop infrastructure and unified endpoint management software with Stratodesk’s endpoint operating system to enable a more agile, modern, and secure point-of-sale service.
“Retail is one of the most costly and complex environments in which to operate. Changing market dynamics have created a new opportunity for POS systems to become a hub for innovation, a driver of retail business priorities, and an enabler of improved financial performance for retailers of all sizes,” said
Delivering Outcomes for Key Stakeholders Across the
With the VMware Retail POS modernization solution, operations, IT, marketing, and security teams are positioned to gain greater agility and responsiveness to deliver on key business, customer, and IT outcomes. These targeted outcomes include:
Extend Hardware Life Cycles:
decoupling POS hardware and software with
VMwarevirtualization software and Stratodesk’s NoTouch OS can extend the lifecycle of POS devices beyond a typical 3-to-5-year span and drive meaningfully better ROI.
- Maximize Uptime / Continuous Operations: retailers can patch and update critical systems such as payment controllers as they would any other software-defined workload, allowing for continuous operations that positively impacts both the bottom line and customer experience.
- Better Securing POS Environments: security organizations can automate deployment of patches and security updates to mitigate overall security risk more quickly. Moving to a software thin-client on POS devices further reduces an organization’s threat footprint.
- Brand and Service Expansion: retailers can create a “Store-In-A-Box” scenario whereby hardware and software systems can be preconfigured, drop shipped to stores, and operational in a matter of hours, consistent with the rest of the organization. Marketing teams can take advantage of new technology-enabled service offerings to attract customers, and more quickly deploy and update solutions for store analytics to drive better understanding of customer behavior through advanced metrics.
Mobile POS &
Pop-up Shops: moving workloads to a retail edge platform or into a cloud of choice enables retailers to expand their footprint dynamically and utilize mobile kiosks and handheld devices for “line bursting” without retraining staff to utilize unfamiliar software solutions.
- Simplified IT Management and Operations: retail IT can use orchestration and analytics tools they have expertise using in their data centers to manage previously isolated systems. Application updates are centrally managed and automated through the VMware Retail POS solution through the cloud of a customer’s choice.
“Point of sale is no longer simply the last point of customer engagement; it is a business process enabler.
Retailers can’t afford to be constrained by legacy POS systems that hinder execution of retail strategies,” said
“The VMware Retail POS modernization solution with embedded Stratodesk NoTouch software enables retailers around the world to embrace modernization initiatives and improve on the customer experience,” said
Built on Proven VMware and Ecosystem Partner Technologies
The VMware Retail POS modernization solution utilizes proven
- VMware Horizon: connects the POS terminal to virtualized desktop and app workloads and more securely reconnects peripherals that are physically connected to the POS terminal. This includes receipt printers, bar code scanners, cash drawers and credit card pin pads.
- VMware Workspace ONE: cloud-native device management that improves security hygiene and provides automated application management and delivery to the POS systems;
Stratodesk NoTouch OS and
Management Software: allows POS terminals to run more secure and well-maintained OS that is centrally managed and easily updated;
- Multicloud and Edge Compute: VMware Edge Compute Stack or any public cloud provide compute and management services for workloads that enhance security and agility.
New research conducted by Coresight and commissioned by
- Read the VMware Retail POS modernization solution launch blog
- Learn more about extending POS lifecycle in this e-book
- Check out the Stratodesk news release
- Follow the VMware Retail Solutions blog
1-“Retail Challenges Boost Edge Technology Investment, ”
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230116005103/en/