American Express Reveals 2023 Top Travel Trends
- American Express Travel’s 2023 Global Travel Trends Report1 shows travelers, and particularly Gen Z and Millennials 2 , plan to spend more on travel in 2023 than 2022.
- Travelers are inspired by their favorite shows and movies, choosing their next dream destination based on what they’ll eat, and driven by a desire for greater wellness and support for local communities.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230323005091/en/
The Rise of “Set-Jetting”: Popular movies, TV shows and social media are inspiring people to travel to places they see onscreen, like
Italy, Paris, Yellowstone, and London
- Delicious Destinations: From top restaurants to local favorites to cooking classes, people are choosing their next destination based on what they’ll eat
- A Wellness Wave: Restorative vacations are on the rise as travelers prioritize self-care and mental and physical health
- Traveling Off the Beaten Path: Travelers want to discover hidden gems and support the local community when they visit
The report, based on survey data from travelers from
“Vacations are precious, and travelers are prioritizing personalized itineraries built around their passions, from planning an entire vacation for a single dinner reservation to getting the perfect video for TikTok,” says
Top insights from American Express Travel’s 2023 Global Travel Trends Reportinclude:
Pop culture and social media are influencing the rise of “set-jetting,” especially among younger travelers.
- 75% of respondents agree that they have been inspired to travel to a specific destination by social media
- 70% of Gen Z and Millennials surveyed agree that they have been inspired to visit a destination after seeing it featured in a TV show, news source, or movie
46% of Gen Z and Millennials surveyed say they have been inspired to travel to a destination because of Instagram
From visiting top restaurants and local favorites to taking a cooking class, food has a huge impact on where people travel.
- 81% of respondents agree that trying local foods and cuisines is the part of traveling they look forward to the most
- 66% of Gen Z and Millennials surveyed agree that they get most of their eating-while-traveling inspiration from social media
Nearly half (47%) of Gen Z and Millennials surveyed agree that they have planned an entire trip around visiting a specific restaurant
Prioritizing self-care is leading to a rise in restorative vacations.
- 73% of respondents are planning vacations to better their mental, physical, and emotional health this year
60% of Gen Z and Millennials surveyed say they go out of their way to book hotels that offer spa and wellness services
Travelers want to discover hidden gems and support the local communities they visit.
- 85% of respondents want to visit a place where they can truly experience the local culture
- 78% of respondents are interested in going on vacations that support local communities in 2023
As the demand for travel continues into 2023,
Key links to products, services and corporate responsibility information: personal cards, business cards and services, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services,
2Gen Z and Millennials are defined as respondents as being born between 1981 - 2012.
Seller of Travel
California CST#1022318; Washington UBI#600-469-694
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230323005091/en/